This morning a man had stopped his pickup on the shoulder of Highway 101 in Brisbane because he was having mechanical trouble and was struck and killed by another vehicle, according sfexaminer.com. As he was standing in front of the pickup, a man driving a Camry veered onto the shoulder and slammed in to the back of the pickup. The pickup pushed forward into the man, throwing him about 75 feet, and he was pronounced dead at the scene. It is not known if the driver veered off the road intentionally or accidentally.
Such a story is a good example of how accidents can happen even when you think you have followed every safety precaution. Perhaps now would be a good time to discuss a safety issue that could save your life the next time you get on the freeway: knowing how to react when your car has mechanical trouble on the highway, or any other type of emergency, and what to do to get help safely. First, it is vitally important that you get out the traffic lanes onto a shoulder or breakdown lane. Here are some other safety tips:
• Stop your car as far away from traffic as you can.
• Turn on your hazard lights as soon as you recognize that there is a problem-or at any time you are going significantly slower than the traffic around you.
• Call for assistance.
• Don’t get out of your car unless you have to or get out of the car and stand a safe distance from your car and the highway.
• Remember that cars with distracted drivers or impaired drivers will often plow into disabled cars on the side of the road-do not stand next to your car.
• If strangers offer to help you, stay vigilant, especially if you are alone.
• Put your hood up to signal for assistance if you need help.
Here at the Brod Law Firm, we are dedicated to helping victims of car accidents recover damages from all types of car accidents. We understand that a serious car, truck, bike, motorcycle, or pedestrian accident can leave a person with severe injuries, extensive medical bills, lost wages, permanent disabilities and chronic pain. In cases such as the one above, we are committed to helping families of deceased victims understand their rights during their time pain. We will aggressively pursue any personal injury case to the fullest extent necessary in order to get victims and their families the compensation they deserve for their losses. Sometimes we settle cases out of court to minimize the trauma for victims, but we are always prepared to go to trial when necessary. If you suffered injuries due an accident, please contact our firm for a free consultation today.